Thursday, July 3, 2008

Couple bumps in the road...literally

Well, it's been a while since I posted an update. But my wife and I were in the process of moving and my car had a little hiccup. Here is the story:

So after gettin my motor in, I had about 200 miles on it. I was coming home from work on I95 and I hit a "bump in the road" and my rearend started making thumping/clanking noise. So I had it towed home :( about 30 miles ugh!

Photobucket


So anyway, I put the car up on jackstands in my garage and I'm checking the driveshaft and the suspension and the axels and bearings and everything. I eventually just open the rear up. I didn't want to at first because I had royal purple gear oil in there, about $35 worth and I didn't want to buy more lol.

But it had to be done because what I found was a whole lot of illegal rave style partying between my ring gear bolts and differential/ring and pinion!

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket

Photobucket Photobucket


So as you may be able to see a bunch of the ring gear bolts backed out of the ring gear and were just partying in the rearend. The bolts are from an 8.8 rear rebuild kit from Summit Racing. The heads are 5/8 instead of the 3/4 that Ford has. So I was able to salvage the gears and put new bolts in and everything seems fine so far.

I'm going to eventually put 3.73's back in to get some more topend and not hit redline in 4th gear at the track.

Soooo, till next time...I'll be putting miles on my motor so I can go get it dyno tuned. I CAN'T WAIT!!!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's always something....

July 23, 2008 at 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home